Founded by Michelle Hynes-McIlroy LLB (Hons) aka @legaleaglemhm
The Legaleaglettes are ‘creating’ the ‘future of law’ not just responding to it.
In less than a month technolgy will take a massive leap and a new concept will spring to life.The legal profession ‘Global’ will be the ‘movers and shakers’
Thank you for taking the time to read this brief. In a precarious time for Legal Professionals around the globe; future lawyers’ have started a new initiative that with the right help and support could potentially benefit us all.
So what is the purpose of the legaleaglettes and what is going to happen over the coming months?
Firstly I think we are all agreed that something is changing, call it a paradigm shift or a redress to the balance whatever around the world changes in how we learn law, communicate law and practice law are emerging.
The way we recruit lawyers and gain traineeships is changing too.
It’s no longer enough just to work hard get a first class honours degree and walk into a training contract with your firm of choice. It is a difficult journey and the profession faces new competition from businesses outside of the traditional profession.
I have set legaleaglettes’Global’ as a new collective.
This is NOT a twitter group, or a linked in group or a facebook group.
This is a collective of legal Professional around the world working together to build a new type of communication system of ‘law’
I have started the ball rolling and now look to you for some assistance.
The purpose of the ‘@legaleaglettes‘ covers many different areas as follows:
• To join law students (including colleges, paralegals and pre undergrad)/ trainees/NQ/solicitors and advocates and barristers around the world together and allow them access sources of law.
• To let law students (of all stages from pre to post grad) share in research and legal methods of education.
The allow Universities around the world to learn from one and other sharing legal knowledge and creating a new way fro the benefit of their students.
• To build a peer group that can help each other in legal training and networking.
• To Profile law students of all stages of their career to employers….everyone wants the next ‘rising star’ to be on their team. Follow @legaleaglettes now you may hire them in 2 years?
• To give the @legaleaglettes something extra on their CV which sets them apart from other candidate and may even be enough to land them that training contract with the firm they want. Communicate in a 21st Century manner to land that 21st Century job.
• The build up a network of associates – you can never start early enough
• YOU WILL NOTE THAT USING TWITTER AS A FREE MARKETING TOOL IS NOT EVEN ON THIS LIST and in my opinion many lawyers/firms are missing the point of twitter. Use it for us (legal profession of the present and future) productively.
I have big plans for the @legaleaglettes and here are some of them
*This month a New type of media will be launched- It is unique and never been launched before (more information will follow) which will showcase law students/trainees/NQ from around the world – it’s an New type of communications system which will allow us connection at a better and more useful manner and allow us access to law Globally
one feature will be on- line videoblogging which will allow legaleaglettes the ability to create on line ‘professional profiles’ which they can take through their career.
These films will show who the legaleaglettes are and give you an opportunity to see what the future members of the profession are saying. (It’s an impressive bunch so far)
The New Platform will host on-line profiles of Global students – allowing all froms of social communications to take place in ONE PLACE.It is new – Its not facebook,wordpress,youtube -It is better.
We are looking for support from the Legal Profession across the world.
Legaleaglettes ‘Global’ will be a mechanism for communication in all areas of law at all levels and will include changes legal education in Universities, law firms, Law Societies and in Legal research –basically were going to be the next generation of ‘on-line jurists’ commenting on the law and the shape of the law as it happens- sounds ambitious?
Yes; it is ambitious, but I believe that if only half of the law students are as passionate about Law, justice and our world as I am, then this will work.
As @legaleaglettes grows I hope to encourage law firms large and small to get their trainees involved from the first day of their training contract.
Legaleaglettes will work on providing a network to exchange, grow and learn.
I hope that small firms too will get their trainees involved and will be able to watch as young and old lawyers move through their study years into practice and see the changes which would normally not be easily accessed. (In fact this is totally unique and this cannot be seen anywhere-to date)
I will also personally be speaking to students at Universities and encouraging them to join us and learn, engage record and of course showcase themselves and build their own brand.
Neil Stevenson – @Stevensonlaw one of the Directors of the Law Society of Scotland posted a tweet today which reads ‘Starting to think about more support for high street firms – what would be most useful to solicitors in practice? ’I think this is a great question, but I suggest that as a profession we take a ‘forward thinking’ stance here and plan ahead giving not only current lawyers but the ‘next generation of lawyers’ the support they need in learning the skills they need right now. The future generation of professionals need skills such as business development and marketing and how to build their ‘own brand’.
Collectively we can create a future legal profession to be proud of one that listens, communicates and actually understands what our clients need and how we can best give it to them.
I propose that instead of ‘reacting’ to the changes we ‘create’ the change and take back some of the responsibility for ourselves.
Let us create a ‘future of law’ that not only listen and responds but does so with ease and skill not just trying to pick up tips and skills on the way.
I really want all of the @legaleaglettes to help me do this and I hope you will help too.
I plan to set legaleaglettes up as a not for profit organisation
No financial monies are required to be initially involved though we hope to raise sponsorship from within the ‘Global’ legal professions and any sponsorship monies raised will be directed back into legaleaglettes and the future of the legal profession via our students.
How you can help:
There are a few options and dependant on the size of your firm you can choose.
1. Offer to sponsor legaleaglettes (which I plan to set up as a not for profit organisation). You can be involved as much or as little as you choose.
2. Promote legaleaglettes in your publications by articles.
3. Encourage your students to be involved
4. Encourage your trainees to be involved
5. You can add your firm’s endorsement to the videos by being filmed and appearing along with the future legaleaglettes.
6. Donate monies for prizes for legaleaglettes
7. support us in networking and training events
8. Be a part of the organisation at board level.
9. Come along to our events and talk.
10. All sponsors will receive great publicity around the world.
I am happy to come and meet you to discuss further.
I plan to travel around the world to connect lovers of the law and connect us all in ‘creating #futurelaw# I need your help.
The initiative is live now and will be moving forward in the Next few weeks.
I am at present looking to secure a high profile ‘Legal figure’ who will endorse us.
@legaleaglemhm on twitter
MichellehynesMcilroy on linkedin
Mobile No. 07824467897
My blog : https://legaleaglemhm.wordpress.com/
23 July 2010